Monday, December 14, 2009

Girl's just wanta have fun

One summer night the girls were spending the night at Kay’s house. We talked and talked. Out of the blue someone (I don’t remember who) says, “We should take a road trip to Ocean City”. We all agreed it was a great idea but we needed a car. So I called my mom and asked if I could use the car to drive to Ocean City to which she replied, “No, are you crazy, it’s the middle of the night.” Now that may seem like a big deterrent to most but not us, I directly turned around and called Pat. Pat didn’t think we were crazy; in fact he drove his car over for us. So we all put on our bathing suits and piled in the Pinto. Ocean City, MD was a 4-hour drive away so it was dawn when we arrived. We were so exhausted from staying up all night we flopped on the beach and fell asleep. Hours later I woke up and had been sleeping on my stomach the entire time. It was a beautiful sunny summer day, but this was not a good thing because I am a red head. The entire back of my body from neck to feet was burnt and I had to drive back to Sterling. By the time we got back to my house my parents knew what we had done and I was grounded of course, but the punishment paled in comparison to the excruciatingly painful drive back.
The next road trip we planned and got permission before heading out. Liz’s uncle had a cabin in the woods; it was far enough away from the parents for us and close enough to an adult for the parents. We packed up the car and headed out. When we arrived her uncle showed us the room we would be staying in and I don’t think we left it except to eat or go to the bathroom. We immediately rolled a joint and smoked it. We cranked the music, cause it was always about the music. After the first one it became somewhat of a game to roll the prefect joint. I’d roll it and they’d inspect it, and then rip it up and we’d all laugh hysterically. I can’t even imagine what her uncle thought of all this but he left us alone and never said a word.
March of our graduating year Steph and I started planning our summer trip to Ocean City. We drove up scoped out where we wanted to stay and put down a deposit. It was an older motel, a little rundown, but it was in the main strip so we could walk where we wanted to go. We spent the next 3 months working, saving and waiting. The day finally arrived, just the 2 of us for a week in Ocean City. I think by the time we went we were both surprised I followed thru. Jeff and I were pretty hot and heavy by this point and he was a jealous guy. I gave up a concert ticket to Bad Company because he got mad I was going with out him. Ok, I was whipped and I was probably somewhat of a wet blanket on our trip. Sorry Steph. There was one night I remember we were sitting on the beach smoking a joint and we met these 2 guys. We all decided to go back to our room since it was close by. So the 4 of us sat around talking and smoking. All of a sudden the smoke alarm goes off. We all jump up and start to bolt out of the room. It occurred to Steph and I, almost simultaneously, that it was our names on the motel register. So the boys ran away and we went in search of the manager. We found him and explained that our smoke alarm had gone off. As we all walked back into the room through the cloud of smoke that still remained he said, “You oughta open a window if your gonna smoke that funny stuff.” Steph and I looked at each other and grinned. He climbed up in a chair to reach the smoke detector and said “Hand me your blow dryer.”

No comments: